Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Stranger in the Rain

I found myself stranded in the rain a few weeks ago, in the middle of a strong thunderstorm. I felt so vulnerable and alone, screamed at one point in fear of a lighting that hit right before me. Just when my tears were about to roll down; a kind stranger stopped in her car and asked while opening her window and moving her bags from the passenger seat: “what are you doing walking in this rain?” The feeling of being overwhelmed and relief, coupled by my fear, brought about a once in a lifetime experience.


I stepped into her car, she asked if I was okay, I thanked her for stopping. All she ever spoke about was me and my wellbeing, and in every response I gave I was grateful. She showed so much concern; the kind one rarely gets to get in life- I felt so safe. She would have done too much already by just dropping me off at the entrance of my complex; but she saw it fit to drop me at my doorstep

I realised when she drove away that I didn’t get this kind-hearted woman’s name, let alone exchange numbers. I got into the house and lay on my bed in amazement of such an experience, and I praised God for using her.

Nowadays I feel so obligated (in a good way) to show gratitude especially to strangers, because I do not know if it might be the stranger in the rain. I smile at them not only to show kindness, but because I remember the stranger in the rain when I see the few features I remember about her- her hairstyle, and height.

I never got to say “thank you” properly, but perhaps that is God’s plan for me. I’ll never get to show her my gratitude, but because she was a blessing to me; I hope to be a blessing to others and show them acts of kindness. It might not be giving a lift to a stranger in the middle of the night; but it has helped me realise that not all strangers in the night are bad people, some are actually meant to be there to save us; and therefore I will do my best to bless others.

I’m eternally grateful to the stranger in the rain

No comments:

Post a Comment